Tuesday 1 December 2009

Miss Marple Solves The Mystery

Miss Marple actually was the name of the November mystery sock in the Sock Knitters Anonymous group over on Ravelry. The clues were released over the space of 4 weeks and I must say that I really enjoyed this one.


It's very rare I knit anything with more than one colour of yarn. If I don't want plain socks then I use a yarn that has a few colours in it. The method of knitting for this pattern was mosaic which is really easy once you get the hang of it. Instead of hauling both colours around the round of the sock with you lots of slip stitches are used and you just one one colour per row so you don't get that awful pulling or holes when you are going between colours. It's definitely a technique I will try again.

In answer to Carmen who asked a question about the wooden foot shape and whether I knit on it. No I don't. It is called a sock blocker and is used for shaping the sock after knitting it but it is also a good way of photographing my socks without putting them on and getting into odd unnatural positions to get the same sort of shot.

The new challenge is up over on the shop blog so if you want to win some flowers hop on over there to find out how.

4 comments:

Julia Dunnit said...

There's a whole paragrpah in your post that I didn't understand. Something about loops and stitches and not carting colours arond the sock. It doesn't matter. I love the socks...defo my colours!

Lizzie said...

Well done on "solving" the clues! The socks look great. I think they are amazing - wish you could buy socks like those in the shops! I can knit, but my only sock-knitting attempt was a disaster and I just don't get time these days.
I will watch out for your next challenge with interest...

Jeanne said...

Great socks - I love the pattern adn colors you chose - so nice!

Unknown said...

OK I love this blog Kerry! I didnt know you loved to knit! so do i!! But i have yet to tackle socks - they always look so tricky! The new template is gorgeous :D:D:D:D